British GP has struck a deal to host two F1 races in the summer as Belgium authorities will allow the grand prix to happen with no fans.
Following the plans by Red Bull Ring to have two Austrian GP races, Silverstone has now confirmed the same with two British GP rounds albeit with no fans allowed, after a deal with F1 as confirmed by the track’s Managing Director, Stuart Pringle.
The dates for the grand prix is not firm yet but July end and August start is the likely time with Austria hosting two rounds from the start of the month to kick-off the 2020 F1 season – although, it is subjected to the Government’s approval.
“I am delighted to confirm that Silverstone and Formula 1 have reached an agreement in principle to host two races behind closed doors this summer,” said Pringle. “However these races will be subject to government approval, as our priority is the safety of all involved and strict compliance with Covid-19 regulations.
“I would like to thank all our fans who have been so supportive throughout this and to assure them we are determined to do all we can to help Formula 1 put on a show this summer.” While this is a good news, the COVID-19 restrictions could be a hurdle.
The British Government has a 14-day quarantine rule for all international travelers but it hasn’t defined the full rule and if it will allow sports worker and personalities with less days or none, to help the events to run without any hiccups.
The season hinges on those confirmation now. On the other side, the Belgium authorities also paved way for the round at Spa-Francorchamps to be run albeit with no fans and all the set protocols in place to be safe from the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Walloon Government also allowed a partial re-opening of the circuit from May 18. It will be now for the Belgium GP promoters and F1 to strike a new deal, keeping in mind of no fans. The grand prix – if it goes ahead – will likely be slotted in August.
Belgium joins Austria, Britain and Hungary to officially confirm that races – if it happens – will be without fans as Monaco and France remains the only officially cancelled rounds so far. Among others, Germany has emerged as a venue, even though it doesn’t have a round.
Here’s Mattia Binotto on budget cap
Here’s how F1 celebrated 70th anniversary
Here’s the letter sent to teams with budget cap details
Here’s what Ross Brawn said regarding budget cap and 2020 plans
Here’s the safety changed by FIA
Here’s the last from Hungarian GP officials