F1/Liberty Media announced the signing of a new deal on Thursday to keep Mexico GP on the calendar for three more seasons.
Already on Wednesday, the Mexico GP organisers confirmed of a new deal with F1 and Liberty Media to keep the race on the calendar for 2020 and beyond at Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez circuit.
She also revealed about private backing while thanking businessmen supporting the grand prix rather than the Government, which decided to pull out from the F1 contract after its conclusion later this year.
Carey traveled down to Mexico City to sign the new deal with Corporacion Interamericana de Entretenimiento (CIE), the promoter of the event, and the Government of Mexico City, which runs until the 2022 season.
The title of the grand prix will change to ‘Mexico City Grand Prix’ from 2020 onward. “We are pleased to have renewed our partnership with Mexico City, which will now host the F1 Mexican GP until at least 2022,” said Carey.
“Ever since it returned to the championship calendar in 2015, this event has always proved to be amazingly popular with the public and fans, not just in Mexico, but also around the world.
“Proof of this is the fact that the race promoter has won the FIA award for the best event no fewer than four years in a row and, in those four years, over 1,3 million spectators have attended the Grand Prix.
“The Grand Prix has also been an important economic driver for the city, reinforcing its credentials as a centre for tourism. I would like to thank the Mayor, Claudia Sheinbaum Pardo and the entire government of Mexico City for all their efforts in ensuring that F1 continues in Mexico.
“I look forward to seeing another big crowd of fans at the Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez from 25 to 27 October for the F1 Gran Premio De Mexico 2019.”
Meanwhile, Claudia Sheinbaum Pardo, Mayor of Mexico City, said: “The presence of Formula 1 in the city for further three more years, was achieved for the first time through a new financing model in which public resources are not used. Previously the Federal Government collaborated with the payment for the event.
“The Mexico City government will be an intermediary, creating a trust that will raise the private investment required to deliver this international event. The price of the tickets will remain the same as in previous years.”
And finally, Alejandro Soberon, President and CEO of CIE, said: “I want to deeply thank Dr. Claudia Sheinbaum and the Government of Mexico City for the vote of confidence they have entrusted in us. At CIE, we remain committed to promoting and operating the highest quality events in the world.
“Through this international platform, we have the opportunity to showcase the diverse cultural wealth of this fantastic city. We look forward to welcoming the thousands of tourists, both domestic and foreign to this award-winning event. In addition, I want to thank the F1 fans both in Mexico and abroad – without a doubt, your energy and passion has made our Grand Prix a very unique and special experience.”
With the signing of Mexico along with Netherlands and Vietnam joining in, and confirmation of United Kingdom staying on, F1 is looking towards a biggest race calendar it has ever had with 22 races looking likely.
Outside Mexico, it is only Spain and Italy which is yet to have a fresh contract. The former’s chances were boosted after the Government approved to release funds for the race after the organiser’s last plea.
At the same time, Italy had signed an intention deal few months back, which looks like will be converted into a final contract. Only the German GP is the one which looks like will lose its place from the 2020 calendar.