Gordon Murray Automotive has partnered with Racing Point F1 Team to get the perfect aerodynamics for its T.50 supercar.
Legendary car designer Murrary is working on T.50 supercar and to further develop and test the aerodynamics of the car, Gordon Murray Automotive (GMA) has partnered with Racing Point F1 Team to utilise the outfit’s wind tunnel at their Silverstone HQ.
GMA will also use the knowledge of the experienced engineers at Racing Point as they released the car’s first official image ahead of May 2020 release. The partnership will see the T.50 move from software-based aerodynamic testing to physical testing.
It will allow them to test at least 40% scale model at Racing Point’s wind tunnel. Racing Point Team owner, Lawrence Stroll, said: “Working on the T.50 with Gordon Murray Automotive is an honour and a privilege for everyone at Racing Point.
“Our aerodynamicists will utilise our wind tunnel to harness the very latest F1 expertise and experience for the T.50 project, ensuring Gordon’s revolutionary fan concept delivers its full potential. I have admired the design and engineering skills of Gordon Murray since his earliest days in F1.
“So it is a personal pleasure to support this project, which truly rewrites the rulebook on aerodynamics.” Meanwhile, Professor Gordon Murray CBE, added:”F1 remains a deep passion of mine, so partnering with Racing Point to develop the T.50 is hugely exciting.
“I’ve dreamt of delivering a road car with a ground-effect fan since I designed the Brabham BT46B F1 racing car in 1978. The system on the T.50 is much more sophisticated than the Brabham’s and will benefit enormously from Racing Point’s expertise and resources.”
Gordon Murray Automotive – T.50 – Technical specification
- Supercar with GT capability
- Coupé – central driving position
- Length: 4,349 mm
- Width: 1,850 mm
- Height: 1,152 mm
- Wheelbase: 2,700 mm
- Front track: 1,586 mm
- Rear track: 1,525 mm
- Weight: 980 kg
Chassis / Body
- Full carbon fibre pre-preg monocoque, carbon fibre body
- Type / number: Cosworth GMA
- Configuration: V12 semi-structural
- V. angle: 65°
- Displacement: 3,994 cc
- Valve train: Double overhead camshafts / variable valve timing / 4 valves per cylinder
- Lubrication system: Dry sump
- Maximum power: 650 hp
- Maximum torque: 450 Nm
- Maximum rpm: 12,100 rpm
- Starter: 48-volt integrated starter
- Alternator: 48-volt ISG (integrated starter-generator)
- Configuration: Transverse all synchro constant mesh
- Speeds: 6 forward and reverse
- Gear selection: Manual with reverse lockout
- Front: Double wishbone with anti-roll bar
- Rear: Double wishbone – included axis GSP system
- TypeRack and pinion with LSPA
- Full ground-effect with fan-assisted boundary-layer control
- 6 aero modes
More details regarding the supercar and Racing Point deal can be found here.