Banned Moto2 racer Romano Fenati’s racing license remains suspended after the Friday hearing at the premises of Fedrazione Motociclistica Italiana (FMI).
The Italian federation took strict action against Fenati after his antics during the Misano Moto2 race last weekend by withdrawing his racing license and suspending him from any motor racing activities until further notice.
A hearing was set for Friday where Fenati had to be present alongwith his lawyer to explain his actions to the FMI. Following the deliberations and discussions, the decision by the FMI presented earlier in the week stands as the same.
As a result, Fenati’s license remains cancelled and he is barred from racing. However, the federal prosecutor will carry out further investigations for the next two months to finalise the Italian rider’s future course.
The statement from the FMI read (translated from Italian):
“This morning was held in Rome, at the Palazzo dei Federazioni Sportive del CONI, the hearing of Romano Fenati who was challenged the violation of Article 1.2 of the Rules of Justice in relation to the incident occurred on 9 September 2018 during the race of the Moto2 World Championship of the Grand Prix of San Marino and of the Riviera of Rimini against the competitor Stefano Manzi.
“The Federal Court, presided over by the lawyer Luigi Musolino and composed by the lawyers Gloria Brancher and Paolo De Matteis , at the outcome of the hearing confirmed the application order for the precautionary suspension both by sporting activity and by the federal activity issued against Romano Fenati at the request of the Federal Prosecutor Antonio De Girolamo .
“The disciplinary proceedings and the relative timing are now remitted to the Federal Prosecutor who, within two months, will carry out any further preliminary investigations. During this period, the precautionary measure remains in effect. The disciplinary procedure will then follow its course at the outcome of which the Federal Prosecutor will decide whether to refer Romano Fenati to the Federal Court.”
This comes as a hard blow to Fenati who was banned for two rounds by the FIM MotoGP stewards while both Marinelli Snipers Team and MV Agusta Reparto Corse Forward Racing Team had already terminated his contracts for 2018 and 2019 respectively.
Fenati told Italian press about moving away from racing to focus on schooling earlier in the week but has said now that he may return in the future if permitted – although it won’t be in the immediate future as he wants to spend some time away from the racing world.
The Italian is due to visit the Federation Internationale de Motocyclisme (FIM) headquarters in Geneva for a disciplinary hearing sometime in the future. Only after the hearing will the FIM take any call against the youngster.
Meanwhile, Stefano Manzi has indicated to the media that he would like to forgive Fenati and move on from the incident as he reckons the move from the Italian wasn’t done with a bad intention or to injure him.
On the other hand, ex-MotoGP rider Anthony West, who is currently racing in the FIM World Superbike Championship, has been provisionally suspended until further notice after failing the dope test which was taken during the Misano weekend back in July.